Do you file your Income tax return Manually? If yes then read on this is really important for you. The main reason for automating the system of filling income tax return is to minimize the errors. But still there are a big number of people who file their income tax return manually. Errors while depositing tax payment challan physically are common and lead to problems for a tax payer. So to migrate the hardship of tax payers, a new Challan Correction Mechanism for physical challans has been put in place.
For Income tax payments on or after 01.09.2011, some of the fields can be corrected through the concerned bank branch. Which means this scheme will let you correct the erroneous tax challan even after submission. Lets have a look at the fields which comes under this scheme and the time limit within which corrective steps required to be initiated:-
Fields For Correction
Time Limit (From Challan Deposit Date)
|Assessment Year||7 Days|
|Total Amount||7 Days|
|Major Head Code||Within 3 Months|
|Minor Head Code||Within 3 Months|
|Nature of payment (TDS Codes)||Within 3 Months|
The above fields can be corrected if applied to the concerned bank within the time limit given in the above table for the specified data correction. Bank will rectify the details within 7 days from the date of receipt of request from the tax payer.
What Is The New Procedure For Applying For The Data Correction In The Physical Tax Challan By Banks?
- Tax payer has to submit the request form for correction (in duplicate) to the concerned bank branch within the prescribed time limit.
- The original copy of challan has to be attached with the request form.
- Copy of PAN card is required to be attached with the request form in case of correction desired for challans in Form 280, 282, 283.
- In case of correction desired for payments made by a tax-payer (other than an individual), the original authorization with seal of the non-individual taxpayer is required to be attached with the request form.
- A separate request form is required to be submitted for each challan.
What Kind Of Corrections In Physical Challan Are Not Allowed At Bank Ends?
Following changes to the physical challan are conditional:-
- Name correction is not permitted
- Correction in Minor Head and Assessment Year together is not permitted
- Correction of Minor Head and Assessment Year together is not permitted.
- Correction in PAN/TAN will only be allowed when the name in challan and the name in new PAN/TAN are identical.
- Correction in total amount will only be permitted on the condition that the amount so corrected is not different from the amount actually received by the bank and credited to Govt. Account.
- Although there is a limit for correction for a single challan i.e. correction is allowed only once. However, where 1st correction request is made only for amount, a 2nd correction request will be allowed for correction in other fields.
- There will be no partial acceptance of change correction request, i.e. either all the requested changes will be allowed, if they pass the validation, or no change will be allowed, if any one of the requested changes fails the validation test.
What Is The Format Of Application To Bank Challan Correction Request?
Download Tax Challan Correction Format HERE