Almost all of us who have not done their tax planning till now must be looking out different tax saving investment options to avail deduction of Rs 1 lakh under section 80C. Let me remind you one expense that some of you incur whole year but forget to avail deduction against the same at the end of the year and block some more funds to get the deduction. That expense is tuition fee paid for your child education. Government of India has offered this deduction under section 80 C to all the tax payers to avail income tax deduction on tuition fee paid for their child education.
Section 80C of income tax act, offers tax deduction upto Rs 1 lakh to all the tax payers which help them save tax. Here are complete details about the tax deduction an individual an claim on children education expenses u/s 80C of income tax act, 1961.
- An individual who is unmarried can also claim tax deduction on payment of tuition fee of one or two children.
- An individual can also claim tax deduction for the payment of fee for adopted child.
- A divorcee parent paying fees for his/her child education can also claim tax deduction.
What Can Be Claimed Under Section 80C For Children Education Expenses?
Section 80C offers income tax deduction on tuition fee paid for children education on all the below parameters:-
- A tax payer can claim deduction on the amount paid as tuition fee at the school/college of a child.
- This deduction is allowed on the tuition fees paid for upto two children.
- Fees paid for the education of children enrolled for a full time course offered by a recognized institutions like universities, colleges, schools are covered. Even Pre-nursery, play school and nursery class fees is also covered under section 80C.
- Only individual income tax payers can claim this deduction.
- This deduction is allowed only if the fee is paid to an institute physically located within India. The institute can be affiliated to a foreign university or another foreign institute.
- This deduction is available on the actual amount paid as tuition fee.
- Both tax payers (husband and wife) can claim tax deduction for the payment of tuition fees for the child education. For example, a couple is working and have 3 kids, then one parent can claim deduction for the tuition fees paid for two kids and other can claim deduction for the third kid.
- This deduction is available only upto Rs.100,000.
What Can Not Be Claimed Under Section 80C For Children Education Expenses?
- Any amount paid other than tuition fee like like hostel expenses, transportation expenses, exam fee, development fees, donation, etc. are not covered.
- An individual cannot claim tax deduction against the payment of fee paid for the education of his/her spouse (wife/Husband).
- A tax payer can not claim tax deduction for tuition fee paid for his/her own education.
- Any fee paid for part time courses, distance learning courses, coaching classes are not covered.
- This deduction is not available to Hindu Undivided Family (HUF).
- The deduction is not available on the fees amount due. Like in case, fees was due in March 2012, but is actually paid in April 2012, it can be claimed as a deduction in FY 2012-13, and not in FY 2011-12.
This is all you need to know to claim income tax deduction on tuition fee paid for your child education at any level be it school or college.