Nowadays, people are more dependent on plastic money than on paper money. One of the most widely used form of plastic money is the ATM card. Though ATM cards are widely used due to their convenience and ease of use, they have their downsides as well. They help us withdraw money from ATM machine anytime in the day but what if your card gets stuck in the machine while making a transaction? Perhaps many of you would have faced this trouble, that while you go to make transactions with your ATM card, it never comes back as the ATM (Automated Teller Machine) swallows it. This problem could arise due to any of the possible reasons like fault in the ATM machine; or some threat detected by the ATM due to which it is programmed not to release the cash and/or the card. Read on to find out what you should do if your ATM card is stuck inside the ATM Machine.Flickr]
What Is To Be Done If Your ATM Card Is Stuck Inside The ATM Machine?
The person intending to withdraw money from the ATM could probably exercise certain cautious steps to avoid such situations. For instance, when you are at the ATM, try and avoid talking on phone. After the transaction is over press the cancel button. If there is some problem in withdrawing the cash, then instead of trying over and over again, one should contact the particular Bank’s customer care cell and ask for the remedy.
The list of customer care helpline numbers for certain Banks are provided below for assistance:
- Axis Bank – 1800 209 5577
- Bank of India (BOI) – 1800 22 0229
- Canara Bank – 1800-425-0018
- Central Bank of India – 1800 200 1911
- HDFC – 1800 425 4332
- HSBC – 1800 103 4722
- ICICI Bank – 1800 102 4242
- Indian Overseas Bank – 1800 425 4445
- IndusInd Bank – 1860 500 5004
- Karur Vysya Bank – 1860 200 1916
- Kotak Mahindra Bank – 1800 102 6022
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) – 1800 180 2222
- State Bank of India (SBI) – 1800 425 3800
- Union Bank of India – 1800 22 2244
General precautionary steps that can be adopted by people to avoid ATM scams are :
- While doing ATM withdrawals, watch out for suspicious devices (skimming devices) around the ATM, as this may lead to data leakages. [Skimming: This is a method used by criminals to capture data from the magnetic stripe on the back of an ATM card.]
- Stand close to the ATM and place your hand on the keypad while entering the personal details to avoid overseeing.
- Do not share your account credentials with anyone, not even friends or family etc.
If at any time, you find yourself in same situation, that your ATM card is stuck inside the ATM machine, then the first thing you should do is to call your bank and let them know about the problem with the exact time and location of where it happened. You should also get a new ATM card issued from the bank. Also, call the guard immediately and do not get help if any stranger offers to do so.