Finance Ministry of India has introduced a set of new Income Tax Return forms including ITR 2A for taxpayers to file their returns for current assessment year 2015-16. Previously, salaried people were supposed to fill the ITR-2 form which is considered as complicated. In order to ease that complexity of filling the form, this new ITR-2A form has been released.
The ITR 2A is against the mandatory disclosure of foreign travel and dormant bank accounts by tax payers. It is to be filled by those individuals and HUFs (Hindu Undivided Family) who have salary income, own more than one house property but do not have income from business or profession, income from capital gain and do not hold foreign assets. With the release of this form, the last date for filing of the Income Tax Return has been extended to August 31.
Who Can Use ITR 2A?
This form can be used by those individuals and HUF’s whose total income for the assessment year 2015-16 comprises of:
- Income from Salary or Pension; or
- Income from House Property; or
- Income from other sources (such as lottery winning and income from horse race)
Who Cannot Use ITR 2A?
This form cannot be used by those individuals and HUF’s whose total income for the assessment year 2015-16 comprises of:
- Income from Capital Gains; or
- Income from Business or Profession; or
- Any claim of relief/deduction under section 90, 90A or 91; or
- Any resident who has any asset (including financial interest in any entity) located outside India or signing authority in any account located outside India; or
- Any resident who has income from any source outside India.
What Is The Last Date Of Filing ITR 2A?
The last date for filing of the ITR has been extended to August 31, 2015.
Which Documents Are To Be Attached With ITR 2A?
The taxpayers filing ITR using ITR-2A do not need to attach any documents. The documents attached with this form will be detached and returned to the person.
How To File The New Return Form?
It can be filled both online and on paper.
You can download the ITR-2A form here: ITR-2A Form Download
Have you filled your Income Tax Return for the assessment year 2015-16 using the new ITR-2A form? Did you find it simplified as compared to previous forms? Share your views with us in the comments section below!